THE EDGE 96.1
Beats That Move You

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Western Sydney Mum Horrified To Find Live MAGGOTS In Chicken

A shocked mum has told 7 News Online of the "disgusting" moment she discovered live maggots crawling through a box of takeaway chicken she had served at a party for her son.

The mother-of-two, who wishes to remain anonymous, said she had picked up two boxes of food from a fast food restaurant in Plumpton at about 5pm on Friday for an 18th birthday party that evening.

But as the western Sydney local reached for leftovers to make a snack the following day, she was shocked to find the "barely touched" chicken was covered in maggots.

"I thought, 'What's this? Something's moving in there'," she said. "I completely lost my appetite from there. I couldn't eat anything."

Video obtained by 7 News Online shows the creepy crawlies wriggling through the meat as the unidentified woman throws the box away in disgust.

While the horrified mum is blaming the takeaway for the bugs, a KFC spokesperson said that it was "unlikely" that the situation had happened in-store.

"KFC works closely with leading Australian forensic entomologists to understand flies to ensure our in-store cooking and food handling practices are robust so we can keep our food safe," they said in a statement.

"Their latest studies show that flies only deposit eggs in food with temperatures between 10 degrees Celsius and 40 degrees Celsius.

"We hold our raw chicken below these temperatures and our cooked chicken well above so again, it's unlikely this situation happened in-store.

"We would welcome the opportunity to speak directly to the customer."

Share this: