THE EDGE 96.1
Beats That Move You

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Another 7 People Have Died In Horror 24 Hours On NSW Roads

Police have urged drivers to slow down and avoid distractions, as the NSW holiday road toll surpasses double what it was this time last year.

In the past 24 hours alone another seven people have died.

Three people died in a head-on crash south of Sussex Inlet, with another two people airlifted to hospital in a critical condition.

A 63-year-old man died after a single-vehicle crash at Pappinbarra, near Port Macquarie, while a 25-year-old woman died after the Holden SUV she was driving hit a tree at Glenthorne, near Taree.

A 23-year-old woman passenger was killed on the Newell Highway at Peak Hill, north of Parkes, when she fell out of a Jeep and hit a road sign.

And a 42-year-old man was killed in Sydney’s west when the Ford Falcon he was driving crashed into the rear of a parked semi-trailer at Emu Plains.

It brings the Operation Safe Arrival 2017 toll to 21 - more than twice the number of lives lost this time last year.

NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy, said people need to make safety their number one priority when travelling on roads during the holidays.

“There is nothing worse for any police officer than to knock on a door to tell someone their loved one has died,” he said.

“Many of these incidents are totally preventable if people would just slow down, rest and not be distracted during their trip.”

Operation Safe Arrival continues until 11.59pm on Monday, January 1.

Share this: