The Edge 96.ONE
Beats That Move You

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Dreamworld Marks One Year Since Tragedy

Dreamworld has taken to social media to mark one year since four people died in a ride accident at the Gold Coast theme park as staff prepare to hold a private ceremony.

"Today marks a year since the tragic accident at Dreamworld, our hearts and thoughts remain with all those affected," Dreamworld said in a tweet.

Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett and his partner Roozi Araghi, along with Sydney woman Cindy Low, died on October 25 last year when the Thunder River Rapids Ride flipped in front of terrified onlookers including Ms Goodchild's partner.

Dreamworld chief executive Craig Davidson said Wednesday's service would be private out of respect for those who died and their families.

"The staff service will be a solemn reflection ceremony, presided over by a local pastor," Mr Davidson said in a statement.

"This is a difficult time for all concerned. Our hearts and thoughts remain with all those affected by the tragedy."

Dreamworld management and staff, along with board members and the chairman of parent company Ardent Leisure are expected to attend.

The park was closed for 45 days following the tragedy and in June Ardent reported a $62.6 million loss for the financial year with visitor numbers estimated to have dropped by as much as 30 per cent.

The family of mother-of-two Cindy Low say they are still learning to live without a year after her death.

"Our grief has come in waves but the firsts are especially hard - birthdays, Kieran and Isla's milestones achieved that she does not get to experience," her husband Mathew Low told the Courier-Mail.

On the eve of Wednesday's anniversary, the mother of Ms Goodchild and Mr Dorsett revealed her ongoing despair.

"Their deaths have certainly left a hole in hundreds of lives, but none so much as mine, Kate's girls and her loving partner," Kim Dorsett told News Corp Australia on Tuesday.

An inquest into the disaster is yet to be held, while a Workplace Health and Safety Queensland report has been completed but not publicly released.

Last week Queensland police recommended no criminal charges be laid over the tragedy but said the final decision remains with the coroner.

The Queensland government has passed new industrial manslaughter laws following the tragedy and other high-profile workplace deaths.

The laws however are not retrospective, so would not apply to the Dreamworld tragedy.

AAP

Share this: