Explosive Development In 'Claremont Killer' Investigation
Charges have been laid in relation to the Claremont serial killings investigation.
Bradley Robert Edwards, 48, appeared in a Perth court on Friday morning.
It was reported that Edwards (pictured below) remained silent during his brief appearance and was remanded in custody until his next appearance at Stirling Gardens Magistrates Court on January 11.
He has been charged with two counts of wilful murder for the alleged abduction and killing of Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon.
He has also been charged with the abduction of a 17-year-old girl in 1995, which police say was driven to Karrakatta Cemetery and sexually assaulted.
Police also allege he is responsible for another attack on an 18-year-old girl in Huntingdale in 1988.
Edwards was arrested at his home in Kewdale on Thursday and charged in the early hours of Friday.
At a press conference on Friday morning, WA Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan said it will be alleged that Edwards abducted 23-year-old Jane Rimmer in the early hours of June 9, 1996, after she had a night out with friends in Claremont.
“Her body was later discovered in Wellard on August 3, 1996,” he said.
“Police will also allege he abducted 17-year-old Ms Glennon on Friday March 14, 1997, after she too had been out in Claremont.”
Ms Glennon’s remains were found in bushland on April 3, 1997.
Edwards has also been charged with the abduction of a 17-year-old girl two years earlier.
The Commissioner said that in the early hours of February 12, 1995, the teenager was walking through a park on Gugeri Street in Claremont.
“It will be alleged that she was restrained and forced into a vehicle and then driven to Karrakatta Cemetery, where she was sexually assaulted,” he said.
He has also been charged over a break-in and an indecent assault at a house in Huntingdale on February 15, 1988, where it’s alleged he entered the bedroom of an 18-year-old woman and attacked her as she slept but fled after a struggle.
Police say he acted alone.
Meanwhile, the investigation into the disappearance and suspected murder of Sarah Spiers on January 7, 1996, remains ongoing.
Her father, Don Spiers, posted a video to Facebook on Friday afternoon saying his family is "doing OK".
The commissioner has urged people to “respect the judicial process” and to be mindful of posting comments online.
“Comments posted on social media are not immune from contempt of court,” he warned.
Pic credit: WAtoday