THE EDGE 96.1
Beats That Move You

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Huge Fire Tearing Through Shopfront In Sydney's West

Firefighters have battled to extinguish a blaze which ripped through a shopfront in Sydney's west this morning.

It's believed the fire started at the kebab shop on Auburn's main road at about 7am Friday, with eight fire trucks rushing to the scene.

It took officers more than an hour-and-a-half to gain control of the flames, which gutted the ground floor restaurant and caused smoke damage in the upstairs area.

Nine News are reporting that the neighbouring Commonwealth Bank building was also damaged as a result, with one of the workers admitting that he thinks the fire may have started from hot oil in the kitchen.

"We just took over this shop a month ago," the owner explained. 

Unbelievably, three people who were sleeping in the accommodation above the kebab shop escaped injury after their next-door neighbour, who owns the fruit shop, woke up to plumes of smoke and rushed to wake them.

With fire crews expected to stay on to continue to assess the damage, motorists are advised to avoid the area if they can.

Share this: