Warning After Batch Of Pills Allegedly Causes 11 Overdoses
NSW Police are issuing a stark warning after close to a dozen people were hospitalised for alleged drug overdoses over the weekend.
According to a statement, 10 men and one woman were admitted to a hospital in Waratah between 11pm on Friday October 6 and 9pm on Monday October 9 and are all believed to have ingested the same type of drug.
Photos of the pills, which are blue and stamped with a Superman "S" symbol, have been released.
But Newcastle City Duty Officer Inspector Shane Buggy said that it was wrong to blame the alleged overdoses on "a bad batch".
"You never know what is in the pill you are about to take or what it may or may not contain," he said. "You will never know how your own body may react with any substance you might take; whether you have consumed illicit substances before or not.
"There is no such thing as a bad batch. These pills are made by criminals in backyard labs and might be sold as one substance but are actually another.
"People need to consider these things before they risk their physical well-being. This could have been a tragedy; thank goodness it wasn't."
The warning comes as festival season approaches and just two weeks after it was announced that Canberra's Spilt Milk Festival will be the first in Australia to introduce pill-testing.